There are few films that I identify with more than Young Adult. I consider it something of a personal affront that the film was completely ignored by the Academy Awards in 2012, but it’s a much darker comedy than most people can appreciate. I love the intense character study undertaken by Diablo and Jason; surprising no one, Charlize is impeccable as a woman on the verge. In an homage to Mavis and her ironclad liver, I’d recommend playing the drinking game with Maker’s, but if your body (or wallet) can’t handle it, I guess you could just use some Hard Jack’s Cider.
One must drink from beverage when:
- Mavis drinks whiskey/bourbon
- Terrible eating habits are witnessed
- Anyone is addressed or discussed using their full name
- Cosmetic enhancements or maintenance appear in a montage
- Reality TV makes an onscreen appearance
- Any character is appalled by the behavior of Mavis
- Mavis uses her Blackberry
Optional Shit-faced Rule: You have to drink every time they mention Mavis Gary’s career.